The Programme supports regional cooperation between Greece and the Republic of North Macedonia. The Programme’s overall objective is to enhance territorial cohesion by improving living standards and employment opportunities holding respect to the environment and by using the natural resources for upgrading of the tourism product.
The Interreg IPA CBC Programme “Greece – Republic of North Macedonia 2014-2020” was approved by the European Commission on August 6, 2015 by decision C (2015) 5655.
The total budget allocated to the Programme is 45.470.066,00€, out of which 38.649.552,00€ (85%) is Union Support and the 6.820.514,00€ (15%) the National Counterpart.
The Programme is built upon the following three Priority Axes;
- Priority Axis 1: Development and Support of Local Economy
- Priority Axis 2: Protection of Environment – Transportation
- Priority Axis 3: Technical support
- Improved health and social services for the population living in the cross-border region
- Further jobs created in the tourism sector
- Improved access to local transport infrastructures, faster connections to main corridors, efficient border crossing services, transport services using innovative technologies
- Improved waste management or recycling systems
- Improved measures addressing natural risks (floods, forest fires) and environment protection
Priority Axis 2: Protection of Environment – Transportation that focuses on the improvement of public infrastructure and reduction of isolation by improved access to transport, information and communication networks and services. It promotes sustainable management, treatment and recycling of waste as well as supports sustainable management of protected areas, ecosystems and biodiversity and addresses prevention, mitigation and management of natural disasters, risks and hazards.
- S.O.2.1: Upgrade public infrastructure to improve road travel time, safe border crossing and promote energy efficiency towards green transport
- S.O.2.2: Sustainable management and recycling of bio-wastes
- S.O.2.3: Sustainable management of protected areas, ecosystems and biodiversity
- S.O.2.4: Prevention, mitigation and management of natural disasters, risks and hazards